Serves 4 as a main course
- 250g red lentils
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1 tin coconut milk (400ml)
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- Option – fresh coriander to serve
Add the lentils, chopped tomatoes, onion, stock, coconut milk, garlic, turmeric, cumin and coriander into a large heavy based pan. Mix well to combine all the ingredients. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for approximately 30 minutes uncovered until the lentils are soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Taste and season with salt. Serve topped with chopped coriander.
- Don’t cook on too high a heat as the liquid will be absorb too quickly. If necessary add more stock.
- For a healthier option use low fat/half fat coconut milk.
- Serve as a main course with rice, naan bread or poppadoms.
- Can be served as an accompaniment to complement other Indian dishes.