220g each of haddock, undyed smoked haddock and salmon fillet – skinned
120g raw peeled king prawns
150g frozen Petit pois or peas
1kg potatoes, peeled and halved
25g plain flour
Handful of fresh parsley finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 200C/180 fan/6 gas.
Cook the potatoes in boiling water until tender and drain. Mash the potato with butter, a dash of milk and season to taste with salt and pepper. Do not make the mash too sloppy! Set aside.
Take the skin off the fish and chop into bite size peices. Put into an oven proof dish with the prawns and peas.
To make the sauce melt the butter in a pan and add the flour stirring all the time. Keep stiring and slowly add the milk. Bring to the boil and simmer until thickened. Take off the heat, add the parsley and season.
Pour the sauce over the fish and prawns. Top with the mashed potato. Put the oven proof dish on a baking tray and bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes. The top should be golden brown and the pie bubbling. Serve with mixed greens.
- Add grated cheese to the mashed potato or sprinkle on the top.
- Put sliced hard boiled egg on the top of the fish mixture before adding the mashed potato.
- The prawns are optional. Add another firm white fish in their place.
- For added vegetables, saute a finely chopped leek or onion until soft. Add to the oven proof dish with the fish and peas.
- The ingredients make one large fish pie or several individual pies.